The project goals are:
- Develop a sustainable business model
- Enhance the capacity of local partner to collect waste through value chain optimization
- Support scale up plans with container-based mobile recycling technology
- Provide architectural and structural designs for the pilot project
- Develop methods and equipment to improve construction efficiency
- Build capacity and skills for business sustainability
The project is linked to the following Sustainable Development Goals:
Goal 1: No Poverty
Creating employment opportunities for mostly women who are involved in the collection and cleaning of the plastic waste will improve household income.
Goal 3: Good Health and Well-being
Plastic waste encourage the breeding of disease vectors such as mosquitoes which cause malaria one of the major causes of death in the regions. The absence of WASH facilities in schools leads to the increase of diahreal diseases.
Goal 4: Quality Education
The lack of WASH facilities results in truancy among students and teachers, low enrolment of the girl child. Having a WASH facility will improve the quality of education in the local community.
Goal 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth
Improvement of WASH, access to education and increased well-being leads to improved economic growth in the society.
Goal 9: Industry Innovation and Infrastructure
Fabrication of equipment, training of local artisans and construction of infrastructure.
Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
Proper waste management leads to a circular sustainable community.
Goal 13: Climate Action
Cement is one of the major sources of GHG emissions and replacing it with plastic waste for construction purposes will aid in the decarbonization of the construction industry.
Goal 14: Life Below Water
Recycling plastic waste will minimize the influx of plastics into the ocean.